Sunday, September 5, 2010

BOOK REVIEW: Traumatized, a Collection of Horror Tales by Alexander S. Brown


TRAUMATIZED by Alexander S. Brown

Don’t Turn Out the Lights!

Alexander S. Brown delivers. In the manner of Stephen King and Robert McCammon, Brown takes the reader down terrifying paths of horror and the macabre. And like the best horror writers, he doesn’t shy away from the gore and violence that accompanies the genre.

As a novelist, the first thing I noticed about this book was the expertise with which Brown weaves and formulates his short stories; each one seems more a novella, with well-developed characters and a precise plot. There’s no feeling of being rushed through the tale, even though page-wise, there’s not much time to work with. No, for me, TRAUMATIZED was a lot like reading a collection of tiny novels, each one more frightening than the last.

If I had to choose two of my favorites, I’d choose Bloodlines and The House by the River, but each tale holds its own value by its unique storyline and plot development. Brown made me worry for the protagonists, and worse—he tricked me many times when I thought it would end one way and instead it went another. He killed my favs sometimes (dirty scoundrel!), which only increased the frightening element of his storytelling.

If you like horror, you should enjoy these stories immensely!

Note: Rated R for violence, language and sexual content

Ellen C. Maze
Author of Curiously Spiritual Vampire Tales

No comments:

Post a Comment